Full Computer Encryption (FV2)
What and Why?
As we know, laptops may be lost, stolen or otherwise end up in the hand of those who should not have access to our data. To this end, Brewster Academy will be encrypting all personally assigned, Brewster laptops (our phones are already encrypted). While I could get into great explanations about what encryption is, the long and the short of it is that it will prevent data from being taken from the laptop while it is shut off or sleeping. Right now, if your computer is lost or stolen, your password can be circumvented, allowing your data to be downloaded to another device.
What will be different?
Only the way you log into your computer. Instead of having the computer boot and then ask for you to enter your username and password, you will be asked for your password as soon as the computer turns on. Your computer will NOT startup until you have entered your password. All computers issued to specific faculty or staff will be encrypted before it leaves the IT office.
How do I start?
1) Open Self-Service
2) Find the icon labeled “Faculty-FV2 Encryption” and click “Install”
3) Once the process finishes, please log out of or restart your computer.
4) Log out from or Restart your computer and you will see the following prompts.
• First, a message indicating the encryption process is starting:
• Next, you will be asked to enter your computer login password.
• Finally, you will be presented with an encryption “key”. This “key” is unique to your computer. It is ONLY used to reset your password if you forget. Feel free to take a picture of it, but IT will keep a copy of this for you, in a secured vault so that we can help you reset your password in the future if you really do forget it.
5) Your computer will restart after you click “continue”. From now on you will log into your computer as soon as it turns on instead of when the computer fully starts up. The encryption process will happen in the background as you use your computer. There is NOTHING special you need to do or avoid. That said, your computer will only finish the process when connected to power. You may see warnings pop up on your screen telling you so.
If you have any questions, please contact the IT department: email email@example.com or call 603-569-7000