Securing the internet is REALLY hard! There are SO MANY things to pay attention to! One of those things you need to pay attention to is whether the site you’re going to uses HTTPS (A Secured/registered site) or just HTTP: (An unsecured site that cannot prove it is who it says it is). This means that https://www.cnn.com is safe and http://www.cnn.com may NOT be.
You can install a web browser extension for both Firefox and Chrome that simply makes sure that any time you visit a site that is https compatible, you are using it. Simple right?
Here’s how to add this extension.
- Using either Google Chrome or Firefox (You really should do this to both) visit https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere
- You will see the Electronic Frontier Foundation, HTTPS Everywhere site. Please choose the link to “Install in Chrome” and/or “Install in Firefox”. Note: it may be obvious, but you must be using the correct browser to install the appropriate extension.
- You will then be asked to add the extension:
- Once you’ve successfully installed the extension it will give you the following confirmation:
- You are NOW far more secure on the internet than you were before. There are plenty of advanced features to the HTTPS anywhere extension, but for now, just having it is a big help!