If you find yourself typing the same messages or text blocks over and over, you will want to use Gmail’s Canned Responses.
Part 1: Activate Canned Responses
- In Gmail, click the Gear Icon , then click Settings:
- Click the tab Labs link.
- Find the service called “canned responses,” click Enable, then Save Changes.
Part 2: Create and Save Canned Responses
- Start a new email by clicking the Compose button and typing out the text message or text block that you would like to save for future re-use.
- Click the down arrow on the bottom-right-hand corner of the compose window, hover over Canned responses, then click New canned response…
- A new window will pop up where we can name the canned response.
Part 3: Insert Canned Responses Into Email
- Start a new email by hitting Compose and at the bottom of the blank email, click the down arrow, hover over Canned responses, then click on the canned response name (in this case, “Student homework”) under the Insert section.
- Your saved text block will appear in your blank email message.
Part 4: Edit a Saved Canned Response
- Follow the instructions in Part 3 and then edit the message as you desire.
- At the bottom of the newly edited email, click the down arrow, hover over Canned responses, then click on the canned response name (in this case, “Student homework”) under the Save section.
- A window will pop up asking if you want to update or overwrite the existing Canned Response. Click OK.