You can automatically convert Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files to the Google Doc format by uploading them into your Google Drive folder via the web. Just following these steps:
- Go to the Google Drive settings in the upper right corner
- Make sure the “Convert Uploads” checkbox is checked and click Done.
- Now anytime you upload a Word, Excel, and PowerPoint file, it will automatically be converted to the Google format.
Not sure if your files are in the Google Format or the MS Format? Here is what the icons will like:
The icon for MS Word Documents look like this:
The icon for Google Docs will look like this:
Please note: Pages docs and PDFs do not get converted.
Do you already have MS Word Docs in Your Google Drive? Here is how to convert them to the Google format:
1. From your Google Drive select the MS Word Document.
2. Click on the 3 dot “more actions” icon and select “open with”;
3.Then choose “Google Docs” from the drop down menu.
4. Your document will take a few seconds to open and you will see the “thinking page” ….
This will not replace the original Word Document. Both copies will be saved in your Google Drive.