If you’ve ever used a Mac on the internet, you may have noticed that any email address or contact link you click launches the Apple “Mail” application instead of Gmail. Here is how you can make Gmail launch instead.
- Open Firefox
- Select the “Firefox” menu in the upper left hand corner of your screen and choose “Preferences” from the menu
- A new window will appear and look like this:
- Please choose “Applications” from the left hand side of the page
- A list will appear in your window. Scroll down until you see “mailto” in the “Content Type” column.
- Highlight “mailto” from that “Content Type” Column and then click the menu to the right, under the “Action” column.
- There may be a number of options here. Please choose “Use Gmail”
That’s it! Now Firefox will always open email links in Gmail!
- Open Safari
- Select the “Safari” menu in the upper left hand corner of your screen and choose “Safari Extensions…”
- You will now be brought to the Safari Extension page. It may be worth exploring this site as there are a number of extension here that might benefit you in other ways. That said, we want to search for an extension called “Mailto”. Locate the search field on the page, type “mailto” and hit return.
- You should find ONLY ONE extension called “mailto”. Once you have, click the “Install Now” link just below.
- Once this is installed you will be presented with a small page listing various ways in which you can now tell Safari to open your email links in. Please choose “Gmail”.
- Now, all you have left to do is to quit Safari and open it again. From now on, all email messages and links you click on in Safari will open in Gmail!
- If you see a set of diamonds next to the star in your address bar, click on the diamonds and select “Allow” on the popup window and click “Done”
- Copy the following line and paste it into the URL (address) bar at the top of your screen
- Once you hit return, you will be presented with the following page.
- From the menu next to “mailto” please select “mail.google.com”
- Exit out of those windows by clicking the various “Done” buttons and you are all set!
Please enjoy opening and replying to all of your emails using Gmail!
Leave a Reply